Saturday, February 10, 2007

Goooooooaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


< we are staying in the beach huts just behind us in this picture

Ok yes so we stuffed up again - we caught a taxi to the wrong station - this time we had left ample time to rectify any mistakes though so it all turned out fine! It did however end with an argument with the second taxi driver who was of course tried to rip us off as usual and I just wasn't in the mood and Clare was about to snap as she had been poked and prodded by beggars through the windows of the taxi all the way... Funny when you look back. It really can be a frustrating place at times and no matter what you do they try it on! Having said that we have been equally impressed with those that have helped us along the way. I guess you can't really blame them though living in a country where their existence is not so important as ours appears to be at home and they have to do whatever they can to survive including ripping rich westerners off whenever they can. In the end the only harm done is a loss of a small amount of money.

Goa is amazing and such a relief - we're at a beach called Palolem and it's so cute - I passed some cows lazing on the sand this morning. That is something you would only see in India! I am scared of them though now because of Clare's incident and am making sure that I avert my eyes away from theirs! Her bruise has healed now but now I am sporting some of my own! SO embarassing - I bought some shoes, put them on and was loving myself sick as I walked out of the shop, slipped on the stairs and went backwards into the busy street where about 10 Indian's caught me just as I hit the ground hard. I didn't know whethere to laugh or cry! Funny now though. Everytime I walked past that part of the street for the next few days they were all like "are you okay now Madam?" with concern. So embarassing...

We are staying at a beach hut right on the beach front and have been lazing around, reading, drinking freshly squeezed juices and swimming in the sea which has been so nice. We went for dinner last night and there was a dog fight and the one that was being attacked the most bolted under our table to hide. Was so funny. Big commotion! There are heaps of stray dogs, they dig themselves beds under the sun lounges we lie on and stay there out of the sun waiting for any crumbs to be dropped.

I got a cold on the train here because of the AC and have been feeling fairly average but am much better today - just sniffles... We are planning on staying here till Wednesday and taking it easy - there is an awesome market on Wednesdays only so want to be here for that...